Catel project status?

May 28, 2011 at 5:46 PM
Edited May 28, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Hello,

I just discovered Catel has updated itself to 1.4 last night.  Thanks for the great framework and effort! Be noted I am just a beginner for WPF programming.

To me the Catel project template never compiles out of box, in 1.4 the changes making it worse.  I wonder if these are expected.

Let me explain issues I have seen (not that I don't enjoy using the framework :-)

1.  Catel WPF project template missing references to Sysmtem.Configuration since last version. 
2.  In App.xaml.cs, user needs to add "using System.Configuration;"
3.  In 1.4,  App.xaml caused compilation error due to missing theme:
   <ResourceDictionary Source="/Catel.Windows;component/themes/generic.xaml" />

In addition, project solution downloaded from here do not run or compile, they are organized apparently but just can't be opened, compiled then execute.

Sonny

Coordinator
May 28, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Hi Sonny,

Thanks for the compliments. However, we are even happier with your critics because we can use these to improve the experience. I will create a work item so the templates will be fixed.

Best regards,

Geert

Coordinator
May 28, 2011 at 6:06 PM

See http://catel.codeplex.com/workitem/6744, we will try to fix the issue as soon as possible (but currently working on WP7 Mango support, that is more important at the moment).

The 3rd is probably because the project templates do not reference Catel (so you have the freedom to link it any way you want). You can take a look at the following article. Chapter 2 and 3 are useful for other application types than Windows Phone 7 as well.

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/windows-phone-7/Catel_Part6.aspx

May 28, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Hi Geert,

As I am only using Catel for WPF/Desktop, I did ignore all WP7 stuff - steps I followed this time:

1. from Extension manager, install Catel from online search (1.4)

2. create new solution using WPF Application with Catel (.Net framework 4)

3. from Nuget, install catel.core and catel.windows

4. compile the solution, fix reference/namespace issue, and finally stopped at missing theme which I don't have knowledge to fix.

I will study the article you mentioned above, thank you!

Coordinator
May 28, 2011 at 7:13 PM

I will try to reproduce the issue tonight. If possible, I will fix it immediately.