Blendability

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:00 PM
Edited Nov 16, 2011 at 6:34 AM

Hi Geert,

1 - Do you have any aproach to design a project that has x:TypeArguments (like Catel) in Blend 4 ? Because Blend 4 doesn't support x:TypeArguments ?

2 - And Blend 4 marks "UserControl" as error ,  because it can't find UserControl in "http://catel.codeplex" namespace. In Visual Studio it is OK.

Blend 4 can find "Catel:DataWindow " as shown

upd : images refreshed (not shown).

Coordinator
Nov 15, 2011 at 2:41 PM

This is hard, because blend simply fails to support some real LOB features (for example, why can't I make a UI element abstract). The fact that the Visual Studio designer can support it, but blend can't says enough. Enought with my "you shouldn't be using blend", let's talk about your problem :)

1) The only way you can get it to work is to use this approach (same as the approach for Silverlight because silverlight doesn't even support generics at runtime):

http://catel.catenalogic.com/index.html?designers.htm (see Silverlight topic at the bottom)

2) That's because the UserControl only has a generic implementation. The DataWindow also has a non-generic implementation and therefore it can be found (but it's not the right one).

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:39 AM

Thanks for the reply. That is very strange that Blend opens .Net 4 projects but not support XAML 2009 :)

I think we have to wait the next major release of Blend to get supported !

Coordinator
Nov 16, 2011 at 7:52 AM

Agree, Blend needs "some" (read "a lot") improvements before it can be considered complete. For simple UI, I recommend the Visual Studio designer. Actually, I only use blend for animations, I type all other stuff manually in the xaml (much faster and keeps the UI code readable/maintainable).

I have seen lots of people use blend that generates lots and lots of garbage. At some point, they want something that cannot be done in Blend (no support), and then they have to fight themselves through the "blend generated mess". So, use blend wisely :)