Problem with adding View to Actipro Dock Souite.

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Hi,

I try to add a Catel:DataWindow to a Docking suite a DockingWindow , but it is NOT possible.! Because your DataWindow inheritances from System.Windows.Window class that Cannot add Window as a child of Visual. Here is the error:

Window must be the root of the tree. Cannot add Window as a child of Visual.

Is there any sample for use Catel with a docking system.

Any advices will be appreciated.

Asad

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM

What docking system are you using? You must be aware that a window is a window, and can only be used as such. A docking system is usually the root of a window (the main window), and only shows controls (thus you should use UserControl instead of DataWindow).

What is the reason why you want to use the DataWindow instead of a UserControl inside your docking system?

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Ah, I now see that you put the docking system in the title, anyway, the rest of the questions are still valid.

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Thanks for your mention. I used Catel.Windows.Controls.UserControl and solved!. I am in experimental phase for choosing a framework between Catel, nRoute, MVVM Light and WAF.

Best,

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM
Edited Mar 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM

And I can tell you, Catel is the way to go ;)

1. Excellent support (just proven)
  2. Excellent documentation (see http://catel.catenalogic.com/)
  3. Excellent features (see http://catel.catenalogic.com/index.html?mvvm_framework_comparison_shee.htm)

Even when you choose not to go for the MVVM part, it is definitely worth to take a look at Catel.Core for the following features:

1. Argument class (check your arguments)
  2. WeakEventListener (no more memory leaks)
  3. MessageMediator (mediator pattern implementation)
  4. Validation (very, very flexible validation, even extensions for FluentValidation)

For now, good luck with your comparison! If you are done, we would love to hear your feedback (what you did like, what you didn't like, etc).