Layered system, how to implement Catel

Topics: Questions
Oct 31, 2013 at 12:20 PM
I've been looking over the Catel framework and the amount of work you put into this is amazing. The problem is that sometimes when I'm reading over the documentations I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to use some of this.

I could give some examples but what I'm curious about is how the things fit together in a multi tier enterprise system.

So let's say a backend with DAL, BLL and WCF and seperate front end WPF and Asp.Net MVC.

I'm going for the most popular (my guesstimation) .Net frameworks so the DAL is powered by EF 5+

So we generate Domain objects there, what would these objects be, should they inherit from ModelBase or would you map from Domain <-> ModelBase in BLL? I'm thinking it could be possible to generate ModelBase classes straight from edmx using T4 templates. Has this been done, would the property handling in ModelBase mess with EF?

Should we transfer ModelBase objects over WCF services? Does the Serialization help there? I read something about this in the documentation and then again read elsewhere that this shouldn't be done. I guess I'm misunderstanding something. Is there no need to mark as DataContract for some reason?

It seems the Model to ViewModel is pretty obvious to figure out and so should MVC.
Coordinator
Oct 31, 2013 at 12:26 PM
We are currently working on a very large multi-tier example application:

https://github.com/Catel/Catel.Examples.Enjoy

We have started this previous week, but trying to get it up and running in the next few weeks. It contains several clients, WCF services, DAL, etc. In other words, exactly what you are looking for. The only thing is that this is all freeware, so cannot make any promises.
Oct 31, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Nice, I will keep an eye on that.