I can't find Catel 3.9 on NuGet anymore

Topics: Questions
Dec 18, 2014 at 10:37 PM
I'm in a middle of a development project using Catel version 3.9. I need to add this version to a new WPF application because all of my referenced assemblies use 3.9. I don't have the time to rework my code to account for all the async changes introduced in 4.0.

Can version 3.9 be made available for a while longer on NuGet along with 4.0? That would really help those of us who just aren't ready for 4.0.

If this is not possible, is there a link to how to update a new project to use an existing downloaded package version.

thanks,
randy
Dec 18, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Never mind -- I found a workaround, though not as simple as using the NuGet UI in Visual Studio.

For those with the same problem, here's what works for me:
  • In Visual Studio (I'm using 2013), open Tools | NuGet Package Manager | Package Manager Console
  • Make sure the drop down box showing the Default Project at the top of the console window points to the project you want to add the package to.
  • For the Catel package, use the following command:
   install-package Catel.Extensions.Controls -Version 3.9.0  
What happens is first NuGet will look online for the requested version. If it finds it, it will install it. If NuGet can't find version 3.9.0 online, it will look in your local cache and install from there (assuming you have downloaded it at some point in the past).

If you have any questions, please let me know.

randy
Coordinator
Dec 19, 2014 at 9:17 AM
That's not a workaround, that's how NuGet works. If you use the UI, you cannot specify the version (you get the latest stable by default).

If you have a new project (in an existing solution), you can "workaround" this by right click on solution => Manage NuGet packages => Installed packages => and select the new project. Then it will use the same (already installed on other projects) version via the UI.
Marked as answer by rbratton on 12/19/2014 at 9:26 AM
Dec 19, 2014 at 4:26 PM
Thanks for the reply!

I haven't needed to delve deeply into how NuGet works as -- well -- it always works.

Thanks for the useful tip for adding older package versions to projects.

thanks,
randy