Catel and VS Express ?

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Hi all,

is there any possibility to install and run Catel under e.g. Visual Studio Web Developer 2010 Express? I'd like to start enjoy Silverlight and MVVM using Catel, but so far I couldn't even install Catel template. When I try to do this I always receive error "This extension is not installable on any currently installed products." On my computer I have now installed Visual C# 2010 Express, Visual Studio 2010 Express for Windows Phone and Visual Web Developer 2010 Express.

In Catel.VSExtension.Templates.vsix file I can find something like this:

<SupportedProducts>
      <VisualStudio Version="10.0">
        <Edition>Ultimate</Edition>
        <Edition>Premium</Edition>
        <Edition>Pro</Edition>
      </VisualStudio>
    </SupportedProducts>

So... that means I can use Catel without full version of VS ?

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:32 PM

The extension itself cannot be used, but have you tried the installer? It also installs the templates and that should work. If not, you can always add them manually to your custom folder:

[MyDocuments]\Visual Studio 2010\Templates

In the meantime, I will see if I can make the extension work in express as well.

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Huh... thanks! I completely forgot that the simplest ideas are the best ;]  ... and that *.vsix files I can extraxt manually. Now it seems to work fine.

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Great to hear that it solves your problem. I have added express support for the extension (was a simple xml element) so the next version (3.0) will have express support.

If you have any other questions, just let us know!

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Edited Feb 1, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Ok, it can't be so easy. I only checked Catel in Silverlight app in Visual Web Developer 2010 Express - and yes, there everything is all right, because it's the only Express-product where I can use NuGet. In Visual Studio 2010 Express and Visual Studio 2010 Express for Windows Phone there isn't any possibility to get Catel's dlls using NuGet. So... now I'm trying to build WPF Catel App. I download and add appropirate references to Catel.Core, Catel.Windows and Catel.Windows.Toolkit. I can run app and I see view I created in XAML. But there is a problem - during editing I can't see anything because of error "The type 'catel:DataWindow' was not found. Verify that you are not missing an assembly reference and that all referenced assemblies have been built." And there isn't anything when I type "catel: ". Of course there is no problem to build and run this project anyway. Maybe during installing via NuGet is something extra added to project?

ScreenShot from my VS 2010 Express

http://s11.postimage.org/p1vnaqcar/catel_problem.jpg

EDIT:

Oh, I forgot. Examples from this site don't have this problem - after I add recefernces I can build, run and edit XAML without any problems, that means I should see designer.

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:21 AM

This is because designers cannot cope with the generic base classes. In 3.0, this will be changed (we removed the need for a generic base class). If you want, you can already try out the latest beta via NuGet.

To get the latest beta via nuget:

http://catel.catenalogic.com/3.0-beta/index.html?getting_beta_versions_via_nuge.htm

To convert your current app to 3.0:

http://catel.catenalogic.com/3.0-beta/index.html?catel_3_0_wpf.htm

In WPF, it is easy to convert your project (just a few code changes), and you will have designer support.

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Hi,

In my case the installer did not install the templates... unfortunately. I was able to install them myself, but I just wanted to let you know. Probably something is not working as intended (yet).

Max

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:07 AM

Thanks for letting us know. I will fix the installer for VSExpress.